Weekly Reflection #2

This was week started off with a little bit of repercussion because, as the last week went into this week, I was just sitting and watching Dr. Bryan just typically do fillings. Then, I decided to shadow one of her hygienist in her office to get a perspective in a different field within the dental area. I realized I had both likes and dislikes within the hygienist field. Some of my likes with a hygienist is most of the patients she had, she knows really well because you see them either every six or three months. That is a big part of why I liked it, because my personality is very outgoing and friendly. When Mandy, the hygienist, was waiting for Dr. Bryan to come look into the patient’s mouth for a second look, she talked to the patient like they go out to lunch everyday. She knew their kid’s names, ages, school, and just specific stuff like that. When seeing that I could see how much it made Mandy enjoy her job even more. It made me think that even on a bad day that I could come into work and just talk to so many amazing different people and hear about their lives. Then there is always dislikes in everything throughout life, and from the perspective of observing the hygienist, I did not like how repetitive it was. Then the only time something went different was when one patient had braces, but other than that everything went scraping off the plaque, polishing, flossing, and etc., and I don’t think I would enjoy doing the same process over and over again. To be a hygienist, Mandy says, she went to a college for two years, that made me think that maybe if I become a periodontist, then once I get older I could go to being a hygienist. My favorite part of the week was I got to do a little hands on because Stacy, Dr. Bryan’s assistant, needed help so she had me put on gloves and help her clean up and she taught me the process of cleaning everything up. Then when we were done the clean up, she also let me help with the set up, and now that I got to do that, it is more of a permanent thing I get to do. I liked it a lot because I was starting to get bored just sitting and observing, but when I got to help out I felt like I was being more of a help than a bother. I really like hands on, this was definitely a great week!

Comments